Michael Lockwood and Richard Breslin, of global architecture firm Populous, have designed some of the most recognised convention and exhibition centres around the world, including ICC Sydney.
As ICC Sydney reaches its first anniversary, Richard and Michael look at international trends in convention…
Joint venture partners, HASSELL + Populous jointly designed Sydney’s new International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment precinct at Darling Harbour Live.
ICC Sydney includes three world-class venues which create a cohesive overall precinct, while at the same time giving each building its own personality and unique architectural character – from the cool reflective style of the convention centre, to the warm natural features of the exhibition centre, and the vibrant energy of the theatre.
The design creates stunning new venues that will attract the lucrative convention and exhibition dollar to Sydney, while at the same time renewing the harbour front precinct to create a vibrant new inner city quarter for visitors and locals alike.
The precinct reflects the dynamism of Sydney’s cityscape, redefine Darling Harbour, while respecting the precinct’s parkland setting. One of the most important features of ICC Sydney was to create more public open space than was there before, a better space with greater amenity for everyone. It is about being open welcoming and enjoying what makes this a truly global and unique city
The precinct includes:
- A convention facility capable of holding three separate concurrent events of up to 2,500 delegates
- Total exhibition capacity of 35,000m2
- A flexible entertainment theatre with a seated capacity of 8,000
- An external event deck of 5,000 square metres featuring spectacular city views
- A grand ballroom with banqueting space for up to 2,000 or 3,500 in cocktail mode
- 8,000m2 of total meeting room space across 70 rooms