Populous continues to be a world leader in the design of retractable roof stadiums with the completion of the innovative roof over Margaret Court Arena, at Melbourne Park, home of the Australian Open (currently underway 13-26 January 2014). Globally, Populous has now…
Populous was commissioned by the Victorian Government for the strategic masterplan of Melbourne and Olympic Parks for the Australian Open. Implementation of the Masterplan will occur over a 15 year timeframe and includes the following key elements:
- Enclosure of Margaret Court Arena to become Melbourne Park’s third allweather arena.
- Redevelopment of Rod Laver Arena.
- New Eastern Plaza Tennis Facilities and precinct carparking New Covered Town Square as the central assembly space for the site.
- Upgrades to Hisense Arena.
- New Players Services & Facilities Building
- New Function Centre
- New dedicated Media Centre
- Reconfigured Championship Court Ladder
- Substantial Site and Landscaping Works
- Site Infrastructure Upgrades and Stormwater Harvesting System.
A key design decision for the Masterplan was to create a clear separation between the public and back-of-house service areas of the site. This was achieved by vertically separating the public pedestrian movement and concourses from service zones and operational circulation below.
The Masterplan not only created an implementation strategy for one of Australia’s most iconic sports precincts, it also formed a key part of the framework agreement that secured the hosting of the Australian Open Tennis Championships in Melbourne until 2036.