Populous was commissioned to design the new training facility for the Greater Western Sydney Giants.
The design aspiration for the redevelopment was to produce a Training and Administration facility that strengthens the status and identity of the GWS Giants Football Club and serves to inspire staff and players in the playing, training and administrative fields.
The redevelopment maintains and enhances the park setting of the site while positively contributing to the ongoing development of the Sydney Olympic Park Master Plan and precinct. It provides new and enhanced sport and community facilities to assist with AFL participation programmes and increase the community’s connection with the GWS Giants.
The building works can be split into two components:
Refurbishment of the existing Golf Clubhouse into an Administration Building to house the following:
- Approx 40-50 staff within 7 departments, namely Executive, Marketing, Media & Communications, Commercial Operations, Fan Development, Community, and Finance
- Multicultural & Community Education Centre where various community programmes can be held
- Retail Merchandise Store for the GWS Giants and associated storage
- Retention of existing commercial kitchen to allow for catering for staff and players and MCEC classes
A new building connected to the existing clubhouse to house various Training and Medical Facilities and the Football Department inclusive of the following:
- 60 players
- Approximately 12 coaching and high performance staff, 5 medical staff and 10 administration staff
- Indoor kicking space
- Medical and rehabilitation facilities
- Players facilities
- Property room
- Offices and meeting rooms