Tottenham Hotspur Stadium wins 2021 RIBA National Award
September 9, 2021
The Populous-designed Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has received a prestigious 2021 Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) National Award.
The RIBA has been celebrating outstanding work in architecture for over 180 years, and its awards programme is regarded internationally as one of the most distinguished in the industry, recognising only a small number of projects each year across all typologies.
Commenting on the stadium, the RIBA judges said:
“The new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium project is a tour de force in stadium design, delivering an unparalleled experience for the multiple users of this collection of buildings.
“Inside, the experience for supporters is exceptional. The perimeter spaces, so often neglected in stadium design, have significant architectural merit. The environment is open, attractive and relaxed. Huge volumes and expressive structure bring light deep into the plan, which accommodates numerous offerings for food and beverage along with seating areas. These concession outlets are attractive, natural and joyful, no doubt helping to control the flow of people in a way that benefits local residents and eases pressure on local transport.
“The bowl features a collection of delights and built ideas. The stands are carefully considered, with a steep rake giving great viewing angles and getting supporters as close to the pitch as possible. The bowl’s enclosure strikes a fine balance between letting in light and holding in the wall of sound that is so important for creating that special match-day atmosphere.”
Read more on the RIBA’s website: RIBA National Award Winners – Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has now picked up 19 industry awards and commendations since its opening in April 2019, across architecture, building design, branding and wayfinding, and inclusivity:
- 2021 RIBA National Award
- 2021 RIBA London Award
- Prix Versailles Awards, Sports Category – World Special Prize for Interiors
- Fast Company’ Innovation By Design Awards – Finalist in Sports and Recreation Category for Retractable Pitch Design
- Architizer A+Awards – Special Mention
- LABC Building Excellence Awards – Best Large Commercial Project
- Design Week Awards, Wayfinding and Environmental Graphics – Highly Commended
- TheStadiumBusiness Awards 2020 – Venue of the Year
- Mondo*dr Awards – Best Stadium Category
- Selwyn Goldsmith Awards for Universal Design – Highly Commended
- Civic Trust Awards – Highly Commended
- AJ Architecture Awards – Best Leisure Project
- The StadiumBusiness Design & Development Awards – Project of the Year
- Building Awards – Design Project of the Year
- Structural Steel Design Awards – Building of the Year
- The StadiumBusiness Design & Development Awards – Interior & Fit-Out Award for The High Street Concourses at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
- LABC National Building Excellence Awards – Best Inclusive Building for The Tottenham Experience
- World Interior News Awards – Gold Award for Leisure and Entertainment Interiors
- World Interior News Awards – Gold Award for Branding and Wayfinding
- World Architecture News – Bronze Award for Leisure Architecture