Bright Football Complex Renovations at Texas A&M Complete
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – (August 5, 2014) – Texas A&M University unveiled extensive renovations to the Bright Football Complex, designed by Populous, on August 1. The training facility for Aggie Football, located adjacent to Kyle Field, has undergone renovations to modernize the entire complex and create the most forward-thinking, technologically advanced football training facility in collegiate athletics.The renovations include a new entry atrium and an updated, fully renovated locker room, players’ lounge, training rooms, meeting rooms and coaches’ offices.
“The Bright Football Complex now has a seamless connection to Kyle Field – and a design that we believe will be key in attracting recruits and motivating athletes,” said Dr. Mark A. Hussey, Interim President of Texas A&M University. “With the renovations, we now believe we have a valuable recruiting tool that differentiates us and truly tells the story of Aggie football.”
The renovations encompass more than 36,000 square feet of space, providing Texas A&M with a premier football training facility and accommodating the diverse needs associated with recruiting, daily training and game day. Critical to the renovations is the integration of innovative technology systems – including programmable LED media displays in the locker room and player corridor – as well as high impact, custom graphics tailored to tell the story of Texas A&M Football. The renovations include custom seating for Hagner Auditorium, renovated position meeting rooms, an adidas uniform display space, a custom lounge for players and an updated head coaches’ locker room and lounge. In addition, significant upgrades were made to both hydrotherapy and sports medicine facilities. The locker room, the signature component of the renovation, includes a high-impact experience unlike anything else in collegiate athletics. It features charging stations within each locker, individual helmet displays, a custom perforated metal ceiling and two frameless LED screens on each locker that will display information about players, daily motivational content and can serve as a ribbon board with the ability to continuously transform the environment. Groundbreaking for the renovations occurred in March 2014.
“Texas A&M has one of the premier football programs in the nation – and now has the premier football training facility to go along with it,” said Brian Mirakian, Principal at Populous. “The renovated Bright Football Complex is now a cutting edge facility that represents the most forward-thinking iteration of training facility design to date. It is complete with the most innovative technology, training space and accommodations available, which will attract the nation’s top recruits and provide them with the best opportunity for success. Every detail was thought through and customized to reinforce A&M’s culture and capture the excitement and momentum around Texas A&M football.”
Some details of the design include:
- A unique, collaborative partnership with adidas that resulted in custom imagery and graphics, and the integration of the adidas virtual uniform system, an interactive exhibit of adidas’ special equipment systems that allows visitors to customize their own uniform and share instantaneously via social media.
- A flexible approach to the design of the interiors and branding through the use of the latest technology and lighting systems allows for a dynamic transformation from day to day training mode to a high-impact recruiting mode.
- MiQ Wilmott, an acclaimed graphic artist in the sports apparel industry, designed custom art, serving as the centerpiece for the locker room.
- A 50′ tall iconic glass tower in the lobby represents the continual drive for the pinnacle of excellence. At the base, a panoramic 180 degree sensory video experience captures the power and drama of game day in front of the 12th Man at Kyle Field.
- A Heisman trophy display honoring Johnny Manziel and John David Crow.
- The Aggie Wall of excellence displaying the Outland, Butkus, O’Brien, Lombardi, Bednarik and Groza trophies.
“Our long-standing partnership with Texas A&M, gives us unique insight into Aggie pride and tradition,” said Leon Imas, Design Director at adidas. “We’ve combined the traditions of Aggie Football with the future of sports and innovation in the design of the newly renovated complex. The unique approach of the virtual uniform system and interactive exhibit celebrate Aggie culture in a way that rings true for both long-time fans and recruits of tomorrow.”
“The goal from day one was to design something never before seen in college football. What made this project a success was a client that believed in a vision and constantly wanted to push the boundaries of what was possible,” said Mirakian. “The Texas A&M Bright Center renovation represents another great project in a long lineage that brings to life the story of one of the most iconic brands in collegiate athletics.”
With offices around the globe, Populous is a sport and event architecture firm that specializes in the design of arenas, stadiums, ballparks and convention centers. The firm has completed work for more than 130 colleges and universities on projects including football stadiums, arenas, ballparks, training facilities and athletic master plans.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: