Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
London, United Kingdom
CHALLENGE. The multi-award-winning Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is a new benchmark in global stadium design, offering one of the finest spectator experiences in the world and, by incorporating a fully retractable pitch, becoming the first purpose-built home for the NFL in Europe.
With a capacity of 62,303, the stadium heralds a new era for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and has created a major landmark for both Tottenham and London.
Click to download our Tottenham Hotspur Stadium Media Kit.
"Our stunning new stadium design and wider scheme will deliver an unrivalled fan experience and significant community benefits – creating a world class sports and entertainment destination for all - and in our birthplace of Tottenham."Daniel Levy / Chairman of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
INNOVATION. The stadium is designed to deliver one of the best matchday atmospheres in the world, with uninterrupted sightlines and spectators closer to the pitch than at any comparable ground in the UK. The stands are made as steep as UK guidelines recommend, creating a tighter, more compact stadium bowl which focusses towards the southern ‘home end’, where 17,500 Spurs fans join together to generate a deafening ‘wall of sound’ in what is the largest single-tier stand in the UK.
- Make it Loud: Designing for Atmosphere at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
- Behind the Design at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium: Six Questions with Interior Architect Megan Ashfield
- Aviva Stadium
Fan spaces across every level at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium deliver incomparable levels of quality and choice. The five-storey atrium space in the South Stand provides a vibrant area for the home support to gather before and after matches, with a range of food stalls, a microbrewery, and a 65m bar – the longest in Europe – which mirrors the full length of the goal line on the pitch behind.
"I think you are too humble when you say, 'beautiful stadium', too humble. You have to say the best stadium in the world. That's the reality."Jose Mourinho / Head Coach of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
IMPACT. Populous’ world-leading concept designs for the premium facilities at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium focus on unlocking the latent potential in typically underutilised spaces within a stadium, creating unique experiences for fans as well as driving innovative new revenue opportunities for the club. The range of private suites, lounges, bars and dining areas — designed to suit a wide variety of price points and preferences — can accommodate 8,000 guests on event days.
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium Design Team
Client: Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Architect & Principal Designer: Populous
Interior Designer: Jump Studios – A Populous Company
Tottenham Experience Designer: Populous
Planning Consultant: DP9
Roof Structural Engineer: Schlaich Bergermann Partner
Shell & Core Structural Engineer: Buro Happold Engineering
Retractable Pitch Engineer: SCX Special Projects
M&E Consultant: Buro Happold Engineering
Quantity Surveyor: Arcadis
Landscape Architect: Populous
Main Contractor: Mace
Premium Hospitality, Player Facilities and Tottenham Experience Fit Out: BASE Contracts & F3 Architects
Populous was the architect for the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium project, responsible for all aspects of the design of the scheme from 2014 and the initial concept stages, through to the completion of construction works in 2019. The full development incorporates the stadium, a new visitors centre, and the Club’s new headquarters building. Future developments include an extreme sports building and a hotel.
Populous’ specialist brand activation team was commissioned to investigate the Club’s brand identity to deliver an authentic scheme for environmental graphics. The primary focus of this piece of work was in embedding the Club’s history into the fabric of the building itself, creating statement gestures such as the huge concrete letters affixed to the building’s northern elevation spelling out the Club’s motto, that will endure for as long as the stadium is standing.
Populous was challenged to develop a creative alternative to traditional wayfinding methods to support the stadium’s complementary mix of uses. At the core of the design is the incorporation of LED technology into classic wayfinding totems to create variable digital signage. This provides the building’s operations team with a significant degree of flexibility, allowing event-specific information to be displayed and last-minute changes or messages to be quickly programmed.
Populous has created a landscaped realm inspired by the Club’s history and the local area that establishes a new ‘greenway’ for fans and the local community to use and explore. All aspects of the development – retail, residential, hotel and experiential – are encompassed in the precinct to create a series of spaces that link together seamlessly.
Populous partnered with its sister company, Jump Studios, to deliver the design for the stadium’s general admission concourse spaces, incorporating 61 bars, eateries and coffee shops. Highlights of the scheme include three pub-style feature bars, an expansive food court inspired by local street markets, and the world’s first in-stadium microbrewery, developed in partnership with operator Beavertown Brewery. Populous and Jump Studios were also responsible for the concept designs for the stadium’s premium hospitality areas.
Continuing its long-standing partnership with the NFL, Populous’ events team is tasked with delivering the NFL’s annual London Games Series, with matches hosted at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and Wembley Stadium. Drawing on the expertise of architects and specialist event planners from across the firm’s global practice, the scope of service spans overlay design, accreditation, wayfinding, operations and transportation.
Facts and Figures
- Total capacity
- Single-tier South Stand capacity
- Premium seating capacity
- Food and drink outlets
- Jobs created
- Distance from stands to pitch
- 4.9m to 6.9m
- Prix Versailles Awards, Sports Category – World Special Prize for Interiors
- Fast Company' Innovation By Design Awards – Finalist in Sports and Recreation Category for Retractable Pitch Design
- Architizer A+Awards – Special Mention
- LABC Building Excellence Awards – Best Large Commercial Project
- Design Week Awards, Wayfinding and Environmental Graphics - Highly Commended
- TheStadiumBusiness Awards – Venue of the Year
- Mondo*dr Awards – Best Stadium Category
- Selwyn Goldsmith Awards for Universal Design – Highly Commended
- Civic Trust Awards – Highly Commended
- AJ Architecture Awards – Best Leisure Project
- The StadiumBusiness Design & Development Awards – Project of the Year
- Building Awards – Project of the Year
- Structural Steel Design Awards – Building of the Year
- The StadiumBusiness Design & Development Awards – Interior & Fit-Out Award for The High Street Concourses at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
- LABC National Building Excellence Awards – Best Inclusive Building for The Tottenham Experience
- World Interior News Awards – Gold Award for Leisure and Entertainment Interiors
- World Interior News Awards – Gold Award for Branding and Wayfinding
- World Architecture News – Bronze Award for Leisure Architecture